Foreign entity registration is confusing for many people at first. This is because, although the term includes the word "foreign," it does not really have anything to do with conducting business in other countries. If you are considering foreign entity registration for your business, it is important to know exactly what it is, how your business can benefit from it, and what you can expect through the process. Also, you will want to make sure that you are conducting your business legally and have as much protection as possible so you do not risk losing it or causing a lot of damage to your personal finances in the process. This article can help you determine whether or not it is right for your company while also helping you determine if your business is eligible for foreign entity registration.

Foreign entity registration is the process of registering your business in one state to do business in another state. The only state that your business is not foreign to is the original state you registered your business in. You remain foreign in all other states by virtue of the fact that your business has been formed and complies with the rules of another state. Due to this, it is not a requirement to complete foreign entity registration to do business in another state, but there are benefits of doing so. To determine if you really need to pursue this type of registration, you may need to look at what the definition of "doing business" in another state actually is and if it applies or will apply to your business in the near future.

There are many different factors that are taken into account when determining if you need to have a foreign qualification in that state, but there are some basic questions you can answer to make a broad determination:

  • Do you have at least one or more employees in another state?

  • Do you have a physical presence in another state?

  • Do you take orders in another state?

  • Do you have a business bank account in another state?

  • Does your business own any property or real estate in another state?

  • Do you earn revenue in another state?

  • Do you pay taxes in another state?

If you need a foreign entity egistration, the following may apply:

  • If you (member) need a foreign registration in a state that is supported by Collective - we can take care of it for you free of charge (state registration fees are still passed on to you).

  • If you need a foreign registration in a state that we do not support. Collective can connect you with 3rd party company RASI / Corp net and provide you with a quote.

  • You will have to work directly with RASI or Corp Net in the process.

  • Foreign registration needs to be done before State Employer registration.

Did this answer your question?